This is the first of 2 sympathy cards I’ve done recently, and as the main recipient is a man I wanted to avoid it becoming too feminine. This card is about as simple as it gets: I masked off a rectangle in the middle of the card front, brayered some Adirondack ink then removed the masks. As the card is quite porous, so not normally used for brayering, it came out quite patchy but that was the effect I was after (honestly!). Some Inkylicious trees, a simple sentiment and it was done.
Ever had one of those crafting projects where everything that can go wrong, does go wrong? Yes, of course you have! This was one of those kind of projects for me.
The only thing I knew when I started to make this card was how I wanted the number 40 to look. The number stamps are by Papermania; I masked them off & used stamps by Paula Pascual to create the flower pattern. So far so good, until I tried to remove the masks in the centre of the numbers – I’d used temporary spray adhesive by Crafters Companion and when I took the masks away, off came some of the surface of the card, too. Not to be deterred, I used my craft knife to cut out the centre of the numbers.
Once that was done I still had no idea of how I wanted the finished card to look, until I spotted this gorgeous card with a really unusual layout. My next problem was that I had no card to match the Memento Elderberry ink I’d used for stamping, so I dug out some Neenah card which I’ve found to be pretty much useless for everything & found that it’s also pretty much useless for directly applying lots of ink to, as it dries very patchy. Eventually I got it to the stage where I was happy with it, so I let it dry then ran it through my Cuttlebug with a Swiss Dots folder to add some texture.
I decided some bling was definitely required & this is where I had my final problem – the Papermania Adhesive Jewels that aren’t. Adhesive that is. I eventually managed to find enough that were sticky and decided that I wouldn’t tempt fate by trying to add anything else!
Stamp storage: it’s a frequent discussion topic on Docrafts & everyone has their own method of organising their ever-growing stamp collection. Or not;-)
This is what works for me but there isn’t a right or wrong way, just different. Almost all my stamps are stored in cheap plastic CD wallets like this:
I only discovered yesterday that this type of card is called a joy-fold card; I’d seen them before but never made one before. This card is for a good friend, our son’s Godfather, who turns 50 next week.
The backing papers were a freebie and I used Craft Artist 2 Professional to print out just the sizes I needed with borders to match – it saves a lot of printer ink to do it this way!
The techniques used on this card inspired me to do something similar. I used a set of stamps designed by Paula Pascual, masking the central panel, then coloured the flowers with Promarkers. I hadn’t been drinking when I took this first picture, honest!