I’ve neglected this blog for far too long; I still make cards sometimes, and enjoy it when I do, but dressmaking has become my main hobby and I don’t have time for both so the blogging takes a back seat to the creating.
Anyway, without further ado this card for my nephew’s wife was inspired by a Christmas gift from my crafty friend Vicky, which was the lovely set of stamps by Crafters Companion which comes with matching dies. This card wasn’t planned, I just went with whatever I fancied doing. The background was inked with Distress Inks in Broken China and Tumbled Glass, so the stamps were also inked with Broken China. As they’re new and I was using Distress Inks, the images didn’t stamp cleanly, but I decided I liked the effect and just re-stamped where the ink was a little too patchy.
I finished off with a sentiment by Altenew, embossed with Wow! Bright White embossing powder (which really isn’t bright white at all), and some off-white sequins to match.
I liked the sketch at Sketch Saturday, but as if one sketch wasn’t enough, I decided to add an extra element by challenging myself to make a one layer card. Almost a challenge too far – this was my third attempt!
I started by stamping the Hero Arts Delicate Blossoms stamp in Versafine Onyx Black, then painting on Pebeo masking fluid over the flowers. Using a Spellbinders die to cut an oval mask, I inked the card using Distress Ink in Dusty Concord, then I rubbed off the masking fluid to reveal the white flowers. The Clearly Besotted greeting, from the Brushed Greetings 2 set, finished off the card nicely. And at least I stamped it straight on my final attempt . . . .
Challenges, that is. I’ve combined the challenges at Addicted to CAS, where the theme is leaves and AAACards, where the theme is ink blending.
I die-cut a Nestabilities oval and created a stencil through which I blended Adirondack inks in Cool Peri & Eggplant. I slipped a bit with my sponge so the birds (all by Inkylicious) were to hide the mistakes!
I then die cut the Sizzix leaves out of Docrafts metallic adhesive card, and spent ages with an embossing tool & a mouse mat trying to smooth out the many “dimples” which result from the holes in the die. I decided to keep the greeting very simple, choosing a stamp by Clearly Besotted from their Brushed Greetings II set.
Like many people who craft, it is my antidote to stress. But sometimes even card making isn’t enough, and my mojo goes awol. Such has been the situation for the last month. Although I’ve made a few cards, getting started on them has been a struggle. When that happens I turn to challenges & YouTube videos to spark my creativity again.
One such challenge is the one at Die Cutting Divas where the theme of challenge 323 is Wedding/Anniversary. A recent Ebay purchase of a few sets of Hero Arts Stamp & Cut stamps included the one I’ve used above, Congrats.
It’s my brother & sister-in-law’s 35th wedding anniversary soon so I used a mix of Distress Inks to create the background, which was cut with a stitched square die. Then I die cut the Congrats die several times in white and also from the background. I layered up 3 white die cuts then added the coloured one on top, offsetting it slightly. The “on your anniversary” was a combination of stamps from other sets, stamped in Versamark then in Distress Ink to match the background. I then embossed it in clear embossing powder.
To keep the overall look simple, I stamped a few hearts from one of the other Hero Arts sets & embossed them in white.
The background for this card was as a result of playing with inks one evening – though I can’t remember which inks, or what the technique was! I paired the background with a Memory Box Chrysanthemum diecut to which I added some Wink of Stella over the flowers. I added a stamped greeting on a tag because I’m entering this in the tag challenge over at Watercooler Wednesday, then a few colour-matched sequins to finish.
My (older) sister retires a couple of years early today. Jealous – me? How did you guess?! Anyway, I had an idea a while back for a card similar to this so I based it on the sketch at Freshly Made Sketches. The text for the main image was created in Word, then embossed using a Darice embossing folder – it took numerous attempts to get the text to line up properly! Then the top was die cut with a Clearly Besotted die.
The background was the result of more playing with wax paper & embossing folders, inked with Distress Inks. The mini clip was from Tesco, and the greeting is by Crafter’s Companion. Now the only problem is how to fit it in an envelope!
The Altenew Build a Rose set was free with a magazine the other week & I had to buy it, although these days I normally resist the temptation to buy a magazine just for the “freebie”! Of course, to use these stamps you need a set of 3 matching inks and I only had 3 inks that fitted the bill: Versamagic Aquatic Splash, Turquoise Gem and Ocean Depth so that dictated the colour scheme for this card. I based it on the sketch over at Kathy’s Waffle Sketch File; I’m also entering this into the tic-tac-toe challenge at The Paper Players, and I’ve gone for the twine/die-cut/girly trio.
The background was created using the wax paper technique with embossing folders, inked with Evergreen Bough Distress Ink. The stamps are by Simon Says Stamp & Clearly Besotted, and the sequins were in my stash.