CAS Mix Up

Front of card

I made this card earlier in the week and then almost forgot to enter it into this week’s challenge at CAS Mix Up! The theme for this month is watercolour wash but you also have to include stamping and something else of your choice, in my case diecutting and embossing.

This card evolved as I experimented. I started with the watercolour wash, which I did with my Zigs, but then wasn’t sure what to do next. I wanted to use some new (to me, at least) stamps which I had just bought off Ebay, so I stamped the flowers in Versamark then embossed them in silver. The petals are coloured in the same paint as the background, but I wasn’t sure I could paint over the watercolour wash with another colour so it was a nice surprise to find it worked very well!

Close up of image

Finishing the card was easy: the greeting is a combination of a die cut by Mama Elephant and a stamped word by Clearly Besotted. Thin strips of card at the side added a little extra interest, and I felt it needed the sequins to finish it off.

Advertisements

Sewing Success!

I was lucky enough, years ago, to be taught basic dressmaking at school. Every so often I’ve tried to pick up the threads (sorry!) and have another go, and each time the result wasn’t good enough to wear outside the house – but not this time! I saw a free blouse pattern on the So Sew Easy blog and decided to have a go. I already had some fabric which was in the bargain bin at Abakhan last year, and although it was a nightmare to sew with (it frays really badly), this was the finished result:

Front view of blouse

The instructions were really easy to follow, and I even made my own bias binding – a first for me, and a major achievement! The only things I changed were that I lengthened the sleeves very slightly & elasticated the bottom as it was just too voluminous for me. I’m so happy with the finished result, and even my far-more-expert-at-sewing sister was impressed. And all for about £5!

Collage of 2 views of blouse

FMS #300!

Front of card

A last minute entry for the 300th Freshly Made Sketches challenge. Congratulations to Lesley & the rest of the design team, that’s an amazing achievement! The dog image was a freebie from Craft Stamper a few years back, minus the flower in his mouth but I added “wallpaper” & “carpet” in Promarkers to match the patterned papers from my stash & a little Anita’s Clear Gloss to give him a shiny nose.

Apologies for the blurry pictures, I’d sent the card off to the recipient before I noticed!

Close up of image

CAS Mix Up

Front of card

My missing mojo is slowly returning although sadly the work-related stress isn’t going anywhere. Still, this is one of three cards I’ve enjoyed making today. The inspiration for it was a card by the super-talented Loll Thompson, not realising that she had made it as an example for this month’s CAS Mix Up challenge.  What is it they say? “Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery”? But it’s with a little trepidation that I’m entering my card into the challenge as it’s a little too close to her inspiration for comfort!

I didn’t have any plain tissue paper to water colour, but I did have pink tissue paper which I scrumpled up, glued to cardstock with Mod Podge then heat embossed with Wow! silver embossing powder.

Close up of main image

I then made the frame with dies by M & C Boutique which were a bargain (£5!) in The Works. I masked off an area the size of the frame then stamped the script (by Inkylicious) in Hero Arts Unicorn ink. The feather was die cut from the “offcut” middle of the frame then shaped a little & adhered with dimensional adhesive.

I used by own home made stamping tool (which is a variation of this one) to stamp the greeting (by Clearly Besotted) but then realised that everything was on the right hand side and the card didn’t look balanced, so I added a little bling to fill the gap.

Techniques: tissue paper, heat embossing, stamping, die cutting.

Quote

Case This Sketch #229

Front of card

Still struggling with my missing mojo but this week’s sketch at Case This Sketch provided the inspiration for this quick & easy card. The most difficult bit was working out what size the patterned paper rectangles (by My Mind’s Eye) needed to be*! I also turned the sketch on its side so it would work with the die cut greeting by Mama Elephant, to which I added some clear Wink of Stella for a tiny amount of bling. You can just about see that in the photo below. The birthday word (by Clearly Besotted) was stamped in Versamark & embossed in white embossing powder. A few pearls from my stash finished the card off.

Close up

*(Note to self for future ref: 2cm x 4.5cm!)

Missing Mojo

Front of card

Like many people who craft, it is my antidote to stress. But sometimes even card making isn’t enough, and my mojo goes awol. Such has been the situation for the last month. Although I’ve made a few cards, getting started on them has been a struggle. When that happens I turn to challenges & YouTube videos to spark my creativity again.

One such challenge is the one at Die Cutting Divas where the theme of challenge 323 is Wedding/Anniversary. A recent Ebay purchase of a few sets of Hero Arts Stamp & Cut stamps included the one I’ve used above, Congrats.

It’s my brother & sister-in-law’s 35th wedding anniversary soon so I used a mix of Distress Inks to create the background, which was cut with a stitched square die. Then I die cut the Congrats die several times in white and also from the background. I layered up 3 white die cuts then added the coloured one on top, offsetting it slightly.  The “on your anniversary” was a combination of stamps from other sets, stamped in Versamark then in Distress Ink to match the background. I then embossed it in clear embossing powder.

To keep the overall look simple, I stamped a few hearts from one of the other Hero Arts sets & embossed them in white.

Close up of front